Friday, April 27, 2007

Challenge: Panini

A friend who is getting ready to gear up for full-on diet and exercise regime recently posted about a divinely greasy and delightful panini she had just eaten in ;) preparation for the countdown.

From what I gather, it was super-greasy with olive oil, and had "spinach dip, mushrooms (the big ones), tomatoes, goat cheese."

I challenge myself to lighten up, and I challenge her to try my version and not love it.

1) Buy whole loaf of sourdough bread, so that you can slice it thinner than they surely did in this restaurant.
2) Spray outer sides of bread with olive oil spray, which will avoid pouring it on, which I am sure is what made it so greasy.
3) No spinach dip! That's just crazy-talk. Before making panini, saute the following in a non-stick pan: mushrooms, baby spinach, garlic, peppers and onions. And any other veggies you like. More veggies = more filling.
4) heat up goat cheese so that it is spreadable, or else mix it in with the above saute. This will let you use less of it. If you need more, dammit, use more. It's ok, because you're skipping the blasted spinach dip. Spread on bread. Add saute.
5) slice tomatoes (or, even better, sun-dried tomatoes [NOT in oil!]) on top of sauteed veggies. Add salt, pepper, and any other spices you like - I suggest a bit of cayenne or hot sauce.
6) Close panini and grill in George Foreman Grill. When it's done, blot with paper towels.

Do you accept my challenge?

5 comments:

she's mighty mighty said...

I will eat it if you make it for me. :p And portobellas! I just remembered what the "big mushrooms" are called.

pollyhyper said...

If I make it, you will come?

pollyhyper said...

That didn't make much sense in written form. I was going for an "If you build it, they will come" vibe.

So, yeah. You come visit and I'll make you paninis. And we'll take a walk and call it a healthy weekend.

she's mighty mighty said...

Sounds like a plan. I can't wait to visit. Also, from your first comment I was going to say that would have to be one heck of a sandwich. ;)

pollyhyper said...

LOL. I was hoping the dirty reference was lost on your innocent mind. What was I thinking?!?