Thursday, August 09, 2007

Back on the South Beach Again

I haven't had time to post, so I am already on Day 3 (only 3?!?!) of Phase 1. I wouldn't say it's been terrible, but it has been difficult. It's obvious now how (re-) addicted to carbs I was/am, and the withdrawal is tough. Plus, it's so damn hot (it's been 90+ and high humidity all week) that I don't feel like doing anything, and that includes exercise, cooking, even moving fork to mouth if it's too difficult.

Phase 1, Day 1:
B: 2 eggs, chopped tomato, small amt of chopped steak, mustard, water, coffee
S: celery w/LC
L: salad: Lettuce, tomato, cuke, cubed chicken, red onion, kidney beans, Newman's Own Lighten Up Honey-Mustard dressing, sugar-free jello
S:
D: Marinated London Broil, sweet potato, side salad w/blue cheese crumbles

Phase 1, Day 2:
B: 2 eggs, canadian bacon, mustard, water, coffee
S: low-fat string cheese
L: salad: Lettuce, tomato, cukes, 8 medium shrimp (steamed), red onion, kidney beans, Newman's Own Lighten Up Honey-Mustard dressing, sugar-free jello
S: 10 almonds
D: chicken "parm" with herb "crust", fresh tomatoes, & low-fat mozzarella, broiled eggplant "fries"

Phase 1, Day 3:
B: 2 eggs, broiled tomato
S: string cheese
L: salad: Lettuce, tomato, cukes, 8 medium shrimp (steamed), red onion, kidney beans, Newman's Own Lighten Up Honey-Mustard dressing, sugar-free jello
S: celery with LC
D: salad: Lettuce, tomato, cukes, sliced London Broil, red onion, blue cheese crumbles, homemade vinaigrette

So you may have gathered by now that I am not being totally strict about Phase 1, but I'd say I'm behaving. No, sweet potatoes aren't allowed, but we already had them, and we're broke and I ain't letting perfectly healthy food go bad. I had it with cinnamon, nothing else, and I'm ok with it. Same for the dressing. And as for the teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee, I've always done that and I won't give it up for you, Dr. Agatston.

I keep forgetting to bring my cottage cheese to work, dammit!!!

As for desserts, we've just been eating too late for me to bother. I know this is wrong, but this is real life.

Starting, once again, at 220. How easily those 20 lbs came back, and how much of a difference I can see that they make in my appearance! I need to think of a 20-lb (loss) reward. I'm thinking of a long-term reward (as in, if I ever make it to 160) of Lasik surgery. That's motivating. As was watching a movie last night with Elizabeth Hurley and saying to myself "she doesn't eat Oreos, or cheesesteaks," even though for all I know she probably does, which would just make me hate her more. But obviously I am NOT one of those people that can eat that and look like her, so I need to make a choice between the two... not that I think I'll ever be, nor do I want to be, as skinny as Elizabeth Hurley.
I'm also thinking of joining an Overeaters Anonymous group and trying to take a closer look at the psychological side of my overeating. I found one that meets Thursday evenings. Now just to make myself actually go...

A few days ago, actually, the day before I had already decided I would start SB again, a college friend sent me this photo of me c.1999...
I didn't realize how much older and heavier I had gotten since then. I mean I guess I did, at least the heavier part, but I definitely didn't realize how much OLDER I look now. It's normal, yes, to look older, but I have always looked young and liked that I did. I wonder how much of the looking older is tied up in the weight. I miss my cheekbones!!!

Edited to add that in the coming days, many of the recently-posted veggie recipes will be moved from here to my other blog, unless they are SB compliant.

2 comments:

she's mighty mighty said...

Woohoo! 3 days already? How are you doing? I can't wait for updates.

Kirsten said...

Glad to see you're sticking with it. I seem to have no willpower, but an upcoming blog post (within the next week or so) will explain why diet's not been on my mind.