Wednesday, September 07, 2005

09/07/05 - Too much garlic in my hummus - keep your distance!

First of all, I apologize to those of you using IE. I will look into the problem and see if there is anything we can do to keep your browsers from crashing.

Second, to address Crowjoy's comment/question, my take on the importance of timing your meals is that you will at no point actually feel hungry. You wake up, eat breakfast, wait a few hours, eat a snack, wait a few hours, eat lunch, another few hours and a snack, then dinner whenever, with your ricotta/dessert after dinner or after that. The only times I have felt at all hungry have been before dinner on nights when I had to shop, etc. after work, and on weekends, when my timing has been off. Everyone knows that when you're tummy is growling you are more prone to eat A) too fast, and B) too much. Also, by keeping your meals/snacks regular, you are keeping your blood sugar levels in check and regular. Or perhaps I'm totally wrong and talking out my ass.

Feeling a little better about myself today. The scale is back to 205. Last night I made up this week's menu and shopping list, and went to the store to buy everything I could, aside from some meat and produce for later in the week.

As of today, I have influenced SIX people to try out SB. I can't take all the credit/blame, but I know that my progress has motivated them to give it a shot, and that makes me feel special and important. Thursday night I'm having two of those people over for dinner. I think I will make steak, string beans, salad, and maybe a few stuffed mushrooms.

Also, last night I found out that using frozen cauliflower is much much MUCH cheaper and easier than fresh for the "SB mashed potatoes" and that adding about 1 t. of low-fat sour cream to it makes it sooooooooo much better.
My recipe was:

1 bag frozen cauliflower
1 t. low-fat sour cream
1 t. (ok, probably 1 T.) Smart Balance spread
Salt and pepper
Dried parsley flakes

Blend in blender until smooth. Reheat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fat free sour cream tastes just as good with no fat! When I did the SB diet, I rapidly lost weight by using fat free instead of lowfat when I could.

pollyhyper said...

I usually DO buy the FF sour cream, but J hates it, and I made something last week that it was important to him to have sour cream with (although i can't remember what it was now!)

I don't think that the FF tastes as good, but it doesn't bother me and I don't usually eat it plain anyway. I just bought a tiny container of the LF, so next time I'll go back to FF.

Thanks for reading my blog!