Monday, August 22, 2005

Day One, Phase One

Over the weekend I purged the fridge and cabinets, and then went grocery shopping with the most organized grocery list I've ever made in hand. It did feel good to buy all that healthy food. I would say 95% of the foods I purchased were from the outer ring of the store, ie. produce, dairy, meats, with the other 5% consisting of sugar-free jello cups, tea, paper products, and fodder for last night's CARB-FEST 2005!!! WHOO!!! (It's over now and I have no guilt.) The man behind me in the check-out line, a middle-aged Italian man whose purchases were by no means unhealthy, said, "I want to come to your house for dinner!" (in a totally non-skeevy way, of course.) So that made me feel good. And I felt like such a winner in the grocery line, b/c after he said that, other people started looking, so I just pretended (without actually saying anything) that yeah, I eat like this all the time.

I convinced my mom, who I work with, to go on the SB Diet with me for the first 2 weeks. The deal is, she makes us breakfast, and I make us lunch. If we make it through the workweek, we'll go out for crabs (no beer or hush puppies!) on Friday after work. I don't care if that's not literally on the diet - it's a major motivator!

Day One began this morning with:
  • poached egg
  • 2 slices of Canadian bacon
  • 6 oz. of spicy V-8
and, of course, a cup of coffee. With caffeine. And a tiny bit of sugar. Ain't no way I'm givin' it up for no one.

Started feeling the hunger hit me around 11am, and remembered (Hooooie!) I got to have some string cheese. I taught my mom that string cheese tastes much better and lasts longer if you pull it apart into strings. She said, "It tastes like rubber." Mmmm.

Lunch: Salad w/cukes, orange pepper slices, tomato, and grilled chicken. Sugar-free jello.

Lunch took surprisingly long to eat, but possibly b/c I was much more engrossed in Days of Our Lives than in getting the lettuce to stick to my fork. I made the Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing in the book and was not very impressed. V. sour and v. oily. I'll have to hunt around for a better recipe. Overall, though, a satisfying meal. Water w/lunch but now I'm having some SF iced tea.

Reminder to self: buy sugar-free hard candies.

4pm: How do they fit so much cheese into one little wedge?

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Happy first day! Good luck polly, I'm rooting for you! Oh, one more thing: watch the sugar free chocolates and candies... they can have a tendency to give people, ahem, bad gas or worse.

Anonymous said...

Hi Polly-
Am I the first commenter??

Hmm, so I guess I am SB Dieter. haha. Love the grocery store story! My fiance and I alway feel so righteous after we load up the counter with all those veggies. I like your plan to team up with your mom. Doing this with someone else has been KEY for me.

Re:coffee: caffeinated coffee is ok on the diet. The only reason they warn about it in the book is that it triggers cravings for some people. But it is an appetite suppressant for just as many people (uh, like me), so go ahead. I'd watch out for the sugar though. Have you tried Splenda? I'm not big on artificial sweeteners, but it actually does taste like sugar and *gasp* there's no aftertaste. It's a little sweeter than sugar though, so I stick to half a packet in my coffee.

Here's a great thread/forum for South Beach Phase I questions. http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4895 (Ugly link!) I've found a ton of great info on those boards. People with much more experience on the diet than I have!

Ok-this is a hella long comment. I'm outta here. Sounds like your off to a great start with day one. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Go polly go! I'm behind you for this as well. Not sure of the ins and outs of the SB diet but I do somethinge like low carb and it really works for me. For a snack - try using cucumber instead of crisp breads and piling on cheese and strawberries, or using them to dip into, well, a dip ;).

Em

Anonymous said...

YES-what Eckerslie said. Cucumber slices are the new torilla chips, ya know? :) Mmmm-cucumber slices with hummus-mmmm.