Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Day Three, Phase One

Today is the first day I'm really feeling the carbs cravings. Well, last night a little bit too, but that was satisfied by a mocha ricotta creme when I got home (REMINDER: Buy vanilla extract tonight!) I did well last night, I think, although I probably ate a larger portion of steak than I should have. We went to a local diner, a big one where they have, like, 8 pages of menu. This is what I had:

  • Diet Pepsi
  • Broiled steak w/horseradish (plain, not horsey sauce)
  • 6 steamed shrimp w/lemon on a house salad w/O+V

THIS is what I watched J eat:
  • Dinner roll w/butter (which I made them take away after he ate one)
  • French dip (roast beef sandwich on a big fat roll)
  • French fries
  • Onion Rings
  • cup of coffee w/a bunch of sugar in it.

That was NOTHING compared to what I was watching everyon else eat! I was drooling over the lady next to me's dinner, until mine got there and I could deal. She had a huge plate of pasta, like 4 dinner rolls, a soda which may or may not have been diet, and then dessert. And at first I was jealous, but then, you know what happened? I was kind of disgusted by what she was shoving in her mouth. I could almost see her blood sugar spike and fall, over and over again. The section of the SBD book on glycemic index really got to me. I never really understood so well how diabetes works, or low blood sugar, the latter of which I suffer from. And I never knew that that the carbs/quick fix was simply making it worse.

All in all, present cravings aside, I DO feel better, and I'm sure the cravings will pass and fade away. I am, however, craving more shrimp.

2pm: Am getting a little tired of salads, and will spend some time soon looking for more interesting lunches. I actually LOVE salad, but it's getting repetitive. Planning on shrimp for tomorrow's lunch (on a bed of lettuce, but of course!) and I am very very VERY happy to find that tomato paste is allowed in Phase One as I have a marinade that I love and I think that was the only questionable thing in it - will post it here at some point.

2:50: My belly is grumbling. I'm going to get a little wild and crazy today and have my laughing cow on cucumber slices instead of celery! Aw Yeah!










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I could almost see her blood sugar spike and fall, over and over again."

Good thing to keep in perspective when those dinner roll cravings kick in. I get 'em, too. My grandma has diabetes, and I need to remember that carb overload can mess with your system that way.

Well, good luck, polly! Gotta get me some of that laughing cow everyone's talking about...

Anonymous said...

I did this diet and lost 30 pounds. I've kept it off for about 5 months now and I plan to start it up again next week. The recipes are delicious! I have found though that eating at a restaurant throws you off by tons so be careful of that. Also, try buying the Smart Balance butter spray. It's delicious! I make a dish of chopped onions, chopped parsley, chopped portobella mushrooms, a little bit of white wine and a bunch of smart balance buter spray, minced garlic, and diced chicken. Stir fry it all and it's delicious! Try the little quiche spinach cup things- those are the best! Good luck!

P.S. I'm on Myspace too.