Friday, June 15, 2007

Recipe - Strawberry Spinach Salad

D'oh! It was so good I forgot to take a photo before eating it! No fear, I'm having it again for dinner (Forgot to bring it home!!!), because even though I made 1/2 recipe of dressing, there was still WAY too much for 2 side salads, which my mom and I had with Lean Cuisine Paninis.

KT120's Spinach and Strawberry salad - 4 servings

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tablespoon minced onion
10 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
1 quart strawberries, cleaned and sliced
1/4 cup almonds, blanched and silvered

Note: Proportions above are how they were given to me. I used much less oil (because I'm not a fan of oily dressings), about half or less of the sugar, and a smidge of Splenda. And a little more Worcestershire. And I just sliced the onion and put it right on the salad. I apologize to anyone who is ever offended by my bastardization of their recipes. It's what I do.

Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover and chill for one hour.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds, Pour dressing over salad and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving. ENJOY!!!

Breakfast: Coffee w/half&half (from the shop), 2 Lean Breakfast Pockets, Large glass of water
Lunch: Spinach & Strawberry salad, Lean Cuisine Panini, 1/2 Breyer's Light Yogurt with 5 cherries & 5 grapes (I had a serious sweet tooth going, but that, along with the cup of coffee I'm now drinking, seemed to quell it a bit.)
Dinner: Leftover Lamb/Vegetable/Tofu curry and rice (HEAVY on the veggies), strawberry-spinach salad, lots of water.

Planning to cook this weekend:
  • butternut squash soup
  • slow-cooker salsa chicken (for wraps
  • salmon
I NEED A NEW SCALE!!!

No comments: